Dr. Payal Arora is Associate Professor at the Department of Media and Communication of Erasmus University Rotterdam.
She is also the Founder and Executive Director of Catalyst Lab, a center that reignites relations between academia, industry and the public using social media campaigns on social issues of contemporary concern. For more information: http://www.catalyst-lab.org/
Dr. Arora earned her doctorate in Language, Literacy and Technology from Columbia University, Teachers College in New York, a Master’s degree in International Policy from Harvard University, and a Teaching Certificate from the University of Cambridge.
She is a full member of The Netherlands School of Communication Research (NeSCOR) and is on several boards including Columbia University Earth Institute’s Connect to Learn, Technology, Knowledge & Society Association, Soteryx, Makeosity, and The World Women Global Council in New York. She has held Fellow positions at NYU Steinhardt, General Electric, and Rio’s Institute of Technology and Society.
She has published a number of books and over forty papers in her field and given over a 100 presentations across 66 cities and 27 countries. Her teaching has been recognized through a number of best teacher nominations and awards including the prestigious University Education Prize in 2017.
Her research focus lies in digital cultures and social inequality, new media activism, edutainment and IT for international development.
Visit her personal website for more information.
- P. Arora & L. Scheiber (2017). Slumdog romance: Facebook love and digital privacy at the margins. Media Culture & Society (online). doi: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0163443717691225[go to publisher's site]
- P. Arora (2016). Bottom of the data pyramid: Big data and the global South. International Journal of Communication (online), 10, 1681-1699. doi: http://dx.doi.org/1932–8036/20160005[go to publisher's site]
- P. Arora & N. Rangaswamy (2015). Mobile Internet in the Wild and Every day: Case Studies from the Slums of Urban India. International Journal of Cultural Studies, 1 april, 1-16. doi: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1177/1367877915576538[go to publisher's site]
- D. Gladysheva, J. Verboom & P. Arora (2014). The Art Tube: Strategies, perceptions and outcomes of museums’ online video portals. Digital Culture and Education, 6 (4), 393-408.
- P. Arora & N. Rangaswamy (2014). Digital leisure for development: Rethinking new media practices from the global south. Information Technologies and International Development, 10 (3), V-VII.
- P. Arora (2014). Usurping Public Leisure Space for Protest: Social activism in the digital and material commons. Space & Culture, February (3), 1-14. doi: 10.1177/1206331213517609
- P. Arora & F.R.R. Vermeylen (2013). The end of the art connoisseur? Experts and knowledge production in the visual arts in the digital age. Information, Communication and Society (online), 1 (21), 1-33. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2012.687392
- F.R.R. Vermeylen & P. Arora (2013). The end of the connoisseur? Experts and knowledge production in the visual arts in the digital age. Information, Communication and Society (print), 16 (2), 194-216.
- P. Arora (2013). Digital glocalization or misinformation? Relating rural knowledge with global knowledge. In Co-production of Knowledge: Social media, STS Symposium
- P. Arora (2013). Chinese cowboy paintings as Western art? New Digital and Global Learning in Rural India. In Digital Crossroads: Media, Migration and Diaspora in a transnational perspective
- P. Arora (2013). The Leisure Divide: Can the 'Third World come out to play. In International Communication Association (pp. 93-11)
- P. Arora (2013). Technological Innovations in Public Art Museums in Amsterdam and Mumbai. In 40th World Congress of the International Institute of Sociology
- P. Arora & F.R.R. Vermeylen (2013). Bridging online and offline public social spheres to understand contemporary leisure space. In 40th World Congress of the International Institute of Sociology
- P. Arora & J. Verboom (2013). Museum 2.0: A study into the culture of expertise within the museum blogosphere. First Monday - Peer Reviewed Journal on the Internet, 18 (8). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5210/fm.v18i8.4538
- P. Arora & K. Sedeke (2013). Top ranking fashion blogs and their role in the current fashion industry. First Monday - Peer Reviewed Journal on the Internet, 18 (8).
- P. Arora & N. Rangaswamy (2013). Digital leisure for development: Rethinking new media practices from the global south. Media Culture & Society (online), 35 (7), 898-905. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0163443713495508
- P. Arora (2012). Challenges in digitalizing medical software for diagnosis and treatment in rural India. In Urban Developments and emerging issues of inclusion, governance and sustainability in India
- P. Arora (2012). Walled gardens: Privacy within public leisure space online and offline. In Amsterdam Privacy Conference
- P. Arora & S. Itu (2012). Arm chair activism: Serious games usage by INGOs for educational change. International Journal of Game-Based Learning, 2 (4), 1-17. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/ijgbl.2012100101
- P. Arora (2012). Leisure divide: Can the Third World come out to play. Information Development, 28 (2), 93-101. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0266666911433607
- P. Arora (2012). Typology of Web 2.0 spheres: Understanding the cultural dimensions of social media spaces. Current Sociology, 60 (5), 599-618. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0011392112440439
- P. Arora (2012). Your kool-aid is not my kool-aid: Ideologies on Microfinance within an INGO Culture. Development in Practice, 22 (7), 1006-1018. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2012.696583
- P. Arora (2012). Is the doctor on? In Search for Users of Rural Medical Diagnostic Software in Central Himalayas. Development in Practice, 22 (2), 180-189. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2012.642340
- P. Arora (2011). Online social sites as virtual parks: An investigation into leisure online and offline. The Information Society, 27 (2), 113-120. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01972243.2011.548702
- P. Arora (2010). Digital gods: The making of a medical fact for rural diagnostic software. The Information Society, 26 (1), 70-79. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01972240903423378[go to publisher's site]
- P. Arora & S. Mitra (2010). Afterthoughts: Dialogue between Sugata Mitra and Payal Arora. British Journal of Educational Technology, 41 (5), 703-705. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01079.x
- P. Arora (2010). Hope in the Wall? A digital promise for free learning. British Journal of Educational Technology, 41 (5), 689-702. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01078.x
- P. Arora (2014). Leisure Commons: Spatial History of Web 2.0. UK: Routledge
- P. Arora & K. Sedeke (2013). Contemporary Fashion Blogosphere. Germany: LAP Lambert Academic Publishing
- P. Arora (2010). Dot com mantra: Social computing in Central Himalayas. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing
Book Contributions (5)
- P. Arora (2015). Web 2.0 and beyond. In R. Mansell (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of digital communication and society (3 volume). London: Wiley Blackwell[go to publisher's site]
- F.R.R. Vermeylen & P. Arora (2013). Art markets. In R. Towse & C. Handke (Eds.), Handbook on the digital creative economy (pp. 322-329). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
- P. Arora (2010). Copycats of the Central Himalayas. Learning in the age of information. In W. Kinuthia & S. Marshall (Eds.), Cases 'n' places: Global cases in educational technology (pp. 21-30). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing
- P. Arora & A. Panikkar (2010). The Ramadan controversy: Dilemmas in negotiating between cultures through the study of Dutch and Iranian media discourses post Iranian uprising. In Y..R. Kamalipour (Ed.), Media, power, and politics in the digital age: The 2009 presidential election (pp. 191-202). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield
- K. Kaun & P. Arora (2010). Global education greenhouse: Constructing and organizing online global knowledge. In S. Mukerij & P. Tripathi (Eds.), Cases in technological adaptability and transnational learning: Issues and challenges (pp. 208-222). Hershey: IGI Publication
Professional Publications (3)
- P. Arora (2016). Prizes for innovation: Impact analysis in the ICTs for Education sector. (Extern rapport). : United Nations Education Commission
- P. Arora (2016). Invited Lecture Prizes for innovation in ICTs in Education. (Extern rapport). Paris: UNESCO
- P. AroraInvited lecture digital marketing. Christie's London, Technology and the Art Market seminar, Christies.
Semi Scientific Publications (5)
- P. Arora (2016, november 4). Invited Lecture Who is in charge of the future of the internet? Rotterdam, TEDxErasmus.
- P. Arora & N. Rangaswamy (2015). Digital romance in the Indian city. In The City & South Asia (pp. 73-74). Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard South Asia Institute
- P. Arora (2015, mei 29). Invited lecture The Art Museum and Its New Publics. Essen, Museum Folkwang.
- P. Arora (2011). Live blog for TEDx Amsterdam. (blog). (available: 1 Nov 2011).
- P. Arora (2011, augustus 1). The Dot Com Mantra book. Imperica
Other Output (21)
- P. Arora (2015). Bottom of the data pyramid in the global South. (blog). Discover Society.
- P. Arora (2015). Bottom of the Data Pyramid,’ Big Data and the Politics of Participation in a Digital Age. International Conference on Technology, Knowledge and Society: Common Ground Publishing (2015, februari 23 - 2015, februari 24).
- P. Arora (2015). Keynote on 'Digital Media, Digital Transition and Internet of Things. 13th Annual Session Dialogue of Civilizations: Rhodes, Greece (2015, oktober 1).
- P. Arora (2015). Facebook and the digital romance economy: Courtship, scams, and internet regulation in the global South. (blog). London School of Economics Impact blog.
- P. Arora (2015). Big data Commons and the global South. IS4IS Summit Vienna 2015, ‘The Information Society at the Crossroads: Vienna (2015, juni 3 - 2015, juni 7).
- P. Arora, N. Rangaswamy & L. Scheiber (2015). Slumdog romance, politics and digital privacy among marginalized Brazilian and Indian youth. Amsterdam Privacy Conference: Amsterdam (2015, oktober 23 - 2015, oktober 26).
- P. Arora (2015). Keynote. The International Conference on Technology, Knowledge and Society on Big Data and the Politics of Participation in a Digital Age: (2015, februari 23 - 2015, februari 24).
- P. Arora (2015). Keynote on 'Big data Commons and the global South. The ISIS Summit Vienna 2015, the Information Society at the Crossroad: Vienna, Austria (2015, mei 1).
- W.H.J. de Been, P. Arora & M. Hildebrandt (Ed.). (2015). Crossroads in New media, Identity & Law: The Shape of Diversity to Come. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan[go to publisher's site]
- P. Arora & F.R.R. Vermeylen (2014). The new cultural commons: the art world, new media and a democratic promise. The Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS): Wassenaar (2014, november 18 - 2014, november 20).
- P. Arora (2012). Temporality in the Sociomaterial Mangle. Annual Meeting of the Society for Social Studies of Science (4S): Copenhagen (2012, oktober 17 - 2012, oktober 20).
- F.R.R. Vermeylen & P. Arora (2012). The valorization of art and experts in the contemporary market. 17th International Conference Association of Cultural Economists international: Kyoto, Japan (2012, juni 21 - 2012, juni 24).
- P. Arora (2012). Learning, leisure and new technology adoption and usage.
- P. Arora (2012). Reconfiguring village studies - "Rural Poverty = Information Poverty? Computers as new knowledge brokers in rural India.
- P. Arora (2012). Keynote on Capitalizing on contested identities for business innovation. West-Asia-North African Forum: Amman, Jordan (2012, mei 1).
- P. Arora (2011, juni 1). Social media, knowledge management and business. Shell Corporation, London, UK, Invited discussant.
- P. AroraGuest lecture. Beirut, Amman, Chamber of commerce of the Social Economic Council.
- P. Arora (2011, december 1). New media and international development. Den Haag, Guest seminar at the International institute of social studies.
- P. Arora (Live video coverage of talk) (2011, dec 12). Does culture matter? Business Communication in this digital and global age. [televisie-uitzending]. In Leaders of Tomorrow. Jordan Live TV.
- P. Arora (Interview) (2011, okt 21). New media, education and South Asia. [radio-uitzending]. In Dilshad Deyani Show. Texas radio.
- P. Arora (Video interview) (2011, apr 15). Entrepreneurship and new media learning:. [webcast]. In One Minute Education. HOPE.
Office: W L3-84
Burgemeester Oudlaan 50
3062 PA Rotterdam
3000 DR Rotterdam