March 12 | Award ceremony Graduate School Award for PhD Excellence
- Date: March 12 (Monday) 2018
- Time: 15.30 - 19.00 (including dinner)
- Location: EUR Woudestein campus Rotterdam (directions) Erasmus Paviljoen serre (study area, behind the restaurant)
- Registration: free, fill in the registration form (deadline March 5)
- Contact: Jan-Willem van der Mijde
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +31 (0)10 40 82607
The Graduate School Awards for PhD Excellence are yearly awarded to further stimulate and reward PhD research. This year, the ceremony will open with a presentation by Ionica Smeets, mathematician, science journalist, columnist, television presenter and professor of science communication at Leiden University. Graduate School dean Liesbet van Zoonen and rector magnificus Huibert Pols will then announce the winning poster, paper, article and thesis.
For this edition, the Graduate School received a record number of submissions for the four competing categories: poster, paper, and article and PhD thesis. We look forward to the opportunity to celebrate the quality and diversity of research in our Graduate School.
We also want to use this occasion to treat our PhD peers. In the past year they helped make new PhD's feel at home at our university. All Graduate School members are welcome to attend. We will end the day with drinks and a delicious buffet dinner.
15.30 – 15.50 Reception Erasmus Paviljoen, serre
15.50 – 16.00 Welcome by Graduate School Dean prof.dr. Liesbet van Zoonen
16.00 – 17.00 Presentation and Q&A prof.dr.ir. Ionica Smeets
17.00 – 17.30 Award ceremony prof.dr. Liesbet van Zoonen and rector Magnificus prof.dr. Huibert Pols
17.30 – 19.00 Drinks and buffet diner
Participating faculties and institutes
- Dutch Research Institute for Transitions (DRIFT)
- Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC)
- Faculty of Philosophy (FW)
- Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB)
- Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS)
- Erasmus School of Health Policy and Management (ESHPM)
- International Institute of Social Studies (ISS)
About the speaker
Ionica Smeets is professor of science communication at Leiden University. Her main research interest is bridging the gap between experts and the general public. She believes it is important to connect citizens and science, because science is a part of society. Researchers should both communicate their results to the public in the best possible way and listen to what society demands from them.
"Lying with numbers"
Numbers don't lie, but they are quite good at concealing the truth. Ionica Smeets shows you how easily people can be fooled by numbers with surprising real life examples, weird mathematical paradoxes and specially made animations. Her goal is to permanently change the way you view numbers.