Security for fieldworkersCourses for beginning PhD candidates
Number of session: 2
Hours per session: 3
Entry level: Introduction
- free for PhD candidates of the Graduate School
- €440 for non-members
- consult our enrolment policy for more information
Dates, times and locations will be announced soon.
Considering the risk environment should be an integral part of the methodological and ethical choices researchers make. Conducting fieldwork in hazardous, remote or complex environments as safely and securely as possible is challenging. Risks can range from the mundane such as road traffic, to more exceptional risks such as encountering violence.
After completion of this workshop, you will:
- Understanding major risks and how to respond to them
- Getting to know yourself in relation to risks and responding to risks
- Learning how to make a risk inventory and contingency plan
About the instructor
Thea Hilhorst is professor of humanitarian aid and reconstruction at the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) of Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR).