The open-source software environment R is a powerful platform for data analysis and statistical graphics that has become the global standard in statistical computing. It combines a powerful programming language with flexible graphical capabilities.
The instructor will illustrate the application of these techniques with practical examples of R. Participants will gain practical experience with R by conducting analyses on provided datasets or data from the participants’ PhD project.
After completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand basic R functionality for reading and manipulating data sets;
- Explore data with descriptive statistics and graphics, and
- to use R for more advanced analyses (such as, linear regression modelling and mediation and moderation).
- Bring your laptop to all sessions
- Download and install RStudio
- Log in to your remote desktop and open the application catalog
- Search for 'RStudio'
- Download and install R 3.4.1 / RStudio 1.0.143
- Search for 'application catalog' and/or 'remote desktop' in myeur.nl for more information.
- Please do this well in advance and notify the course instructor if there are any problems
Using R for data analysis
Pieter Schoonees is an assistant professor in the Department of Marketing Management at RSM, Erasmus University. His expertise lie in the fields of computational statistics, machine learning and psychometrics. Pieter's research focuses on developing statistical and machine learning algorithms and applying these to secondary data. A special interest is the use of such techniques for the analysis of data gathered from neuroscienfic studies.