Together with PhD candidates of the Graduate School, the Erasmus University Library developed a series of e-modules that help PhD candidates to acquire several skills needed during their research project. These modules are all related to academic information: how to collect, process, manage and (re)use academic output in any form.
Information (data) is the very basis of academic research. The University Library supports researchers in dealing with publications and research data. In 2016, a group of PhD candidates of the Graduate School was asked which skills they see as vital for the success of their research project, but do not possess yet. Consequently a number of topics was selected for which the University Library provides online information and training:
- Doing a literature review
- Publication strategies & Open Access
- Research Data Management (RDM) plan
- Measuring academic impact (f.i. H-index, journal level metrics and altmetrics)
- Enhancing your academic visibility & profile, in databases and on the internet
By providing e-learning, PhD candidates can get the required training whenever they need it. For this reason a portfolio of e-modules has been developed for each of the above topics.
Each topic consists of several modules, covering all elements and sometimes phases of the research cycle. This allows candidates to get training in and information on exactly those topics that are relevant to them. The modules share the following characteristics:
- Spot-on modules consisting of comprehensive texts with key-information, short videos and sometimes additional documentation such as manuals and hand-outs;
- If possible an e-exercise is included (to practice what has been learned);
- Freely available online – no ERNA login is needed, so candidates can already start using the modules before the start of their project;
- Links to additional online resources (for those who want to know more).
Please find the modules here.
If you are interested in this subject, the following courses and workshops from our doctoral education program might also be relevant for you: