Confidential counsellors Graduate School & Erasmus University Rotterdam
Erasmus University Rotterdam places great importance on its staff’s ability to work in a pleasant and productive atmosphere. Several confidential counsellor are available for PhD candidates on a variety of issues. On this page you will find a complete overview. Always feel free to contact the Graduate School if you feel your issue cannot be resolved by the counsellors listed below.
PhD confidential counsellor
PhD candidates are dependent on their supervisors. If the relation between supervisor and PhD candidate is problematic, for whatever reason, this endangers progress and the finalisation of the PhD project.
Therefore, the Graduate School has appointed Professor Sabine Severiens as a confidential counsellor especially for PhD candidates to seek help and resolve supervisory issues.
When contact the PhD confidential counsellor?
The PhD confidential counsellor can help you resolve issues such as:
- Lack of, or irregular supervision time and effort
- Assignment of extra work that is not part of the PhD trajectory
- Unfair assessment
- Absence of training possibilities
- Unfair or unaccredited usage of PhD work (although this could also be taken to the academic integrity coordinator). Also consult our Good Academic Practices Guide on joint publications for our guidelines on this issue.
You can schedule an appointment with the counsellor if your doctoral supervisor (Dutch: 'promotor') is part of any of the Graduate School faculties and institutes:
- Dutch Research Institute for Transitions (DRIFT)
- Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC)
- Faculty of Philosophy (FW)
- Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB)
- Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS)
- International Institute of Social Studies (ISS)
- Make an appointment to see the counsellor (firstname.lastname@example.org / +31 (0)10 40 89516)
- She will treat your issue(s) confidentially
- She will help you develop scenarios that may lead to a solution
- Or may try to mediate directly if you would prefer such help
Company welfare worker
If you have problems that are a result of your work or affect your work, you can turn to the EUR company welfare worker. What can you expect from him or her?
The overall purpose of social work is the well-being of people with regard to their social environment. The place in which you work is part of that social environment. The reasons for existing problems could be found in the job itself or in your work situation and these can affect your personal situation, or vice versa.
If you experience any type of obstacle that prevents you from doing your job properly, the best thing is to discuss this with an independent person who is not directly involved in your work situation. A person such as the staff welfare officer can help you find a solution to a problem and will assist you – and your manager if necessary – in dealing with the problem.
When contact the company welfare worker?
The company welfare worker can help you resolve issues such as:
- Stress or work pressure related issues
- Work progress related issues
Also note that several Graduate School PhD courses in the category 'Courses for beginning PhD candidates' include PhD project management.
Faculty coordinators academic integrity
Since 2002, Erasmus University Rotterdam has an academic integrity code. This code contains three key values: professionalism, teamwork and fair play. With these key values, we give direction to the desired conduct of our staff and students. In addition, the code gives the university staff and students the scope to demand accountability from each other with regard to their responsibilities.
When contact the faculty coordinators academic integrity?
- The faculty coordinators academic integrity can provide consultation and advice in matters related to academic integrity.
Confidential counsellor unwanted behaviour, unequal treatment or other issues
Erasmus University Rotterdam places great importance on the students’ and staff’s ability to work in a pleasant and productive atmosphere. EUR has two appointed two confidential counselors. They serve as the contact persons for anyone who has been confronted with unwanted behaviour or unequal treatment in their study or work environment.
When contact the confidential counsellor?
The confidential counsellors can help you resolve issues related to:
- Harassment (sexual or otherwise)
- Aggressive behaviour and/or violence
- Unequal treatment
- Other issues
You can also contact them for issues not covered by the counsellors above, such as personal issues and emotional issues. First of all, they will lend a listening ear. In addition, they can advise on a structural solution. For example, mediation with the supervisor, referral to the company welfare worker, if necessary, referral to your general practitioner.