The mission of the Graduate School of Social Sciences and the Humanities is to increase the attractiveness, the quality, the performance and the valorisation of the doctoral research programmes of the associated Erasmus University departments and institutes, resulting in excellent university graduates.
The Graduate School of Social Sciences and the Humanities is based on the following principles:
- The Graduate School wants to stimulate the attractiveness of PhD research within the participating disciplines;
- The Graduate School wants to improve the quality and the progress of the PhD research;
- The Graduate School takes the diversity of disciplines cooperating within the Graduate School as a starting point. It thus acknowledges their own intellectual, theoretical and methodological roots;
- The Graduate School complements existing initiatives and programmes, for instance with regard to existing national research schools, PhD programmes and Research Master’s;
- The Graduate School supports existing and still to be initiated activities in the context research and education of the PhD, carried out in the various disciplines;
- The Graduate School fills gaps in existing doctoral training programmes and initiates to that end generic and specific provisions in cooperation with the various disciplines;
- The Graduate School uses existing best practices in the participating disciplines or in the EUR;
- The Graduate School acts as a platform for the participating disciplines with regard to the content, the performance and the quality of PhD related education and research;
- The design and organisation of the Graduate School is considered as a developing process.
The Graduate School has the following tasks:
- Increasing the visibility and image of the participating PhD training programmes, both to the world outside and within the EUR university community;
- Monitoring, guaranteeing and increasing the quality and performance of doctoral research related education and research;
- Increasing the efficiency and expediency of doctoral research related education;
- Developing and facilitating new programmes and provisions in the area of doctoral research related education;
- Stimulating interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary doctoral research aimed at encouraging cross-pollination between scientifically excellent and socially relevant research;
- Creating an inspiring research environment for doctoral candidates;
- Providing a platform to doctoral candidates aimed at exchanging and sharing experiences and thus contributing to the social and academic cohesion within the group of doctoral candidates in question.