Attention supervisors! We invite you to join the online discussions in the series 'Challenges for supervisors' we are organising for you!
We welcome you to the Erasmus Graduate School of Social Sciences and the Humanities (EGSH). We host over 500 PhD candicates at our lively, spacious campuses in the cosmopolitan cities of Rotterdam and The Hague.
We offer dozens of courses to nurture innovative and interdisciplinary research excellence. The diverse international backgrounds of our candidates enhance a vibrant academic community.
The EGSH is a joint venture of:
- Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB)
- Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC)
- Erasmus School of Philosophy (ESPhil)
- International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) in The Hague
- Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management (ESHPM)
- Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS)
- The Dutch Research Institute For Transitions (DRIFT)
On 9 November we launched a new series called Conversation with the Dean. The subject of the first session was ‘Dealing with your supervisor’. Our dean Liesbet van Zoonen and the participating PhD candidates discussed the various outcomes of the recent EUR survey about PhD progress and well-being and the mutual expectations between supervisors and PhD candidate.
To further stimulate and reward PhD research, the Graduate School invites its PhD candidates and recent graduates to submit their work and nominate their colleagues and supervisors for the "Graduate School Awards for PhD Excellence". The deadline for submission is Monday 20 December 2021.
Time and again, surveys among PhD candidates show that the relations with their supervisors are not always easy and satisfactory. On the other hand, sometimes candidates have unrealistic expectations and ideas. This session of Conversations with the Dean is meant as a further exploration of such issues.